I Forge Iron

Advies getting to forge welding temp!!

Brett McKool

Hey everyone. New here. Chef by trade. Im a fair amatuer at this and iv made a simple forge from sand and plaster of paris from designs on you tube. Im heating it with tradeflame ultra gas for now which is working well but just not getting hot enough to forge weld. Works grest for just.moving the metal.

Just wondering if a better furnace like ceramic fibre would hold more heat or shoukd i make a flare for the burner which i think makes it hotter. 

I wanna go to propane or lpg which i think is what we call it in australia. All the propane ones i see have a way more advanced burner nosil that my tradeflame burner.

Any help would be fanatstic. Im open to makeing a new forge or nosil just wanna get the xxxx hot enough.

20151228_131925.jpg

Welcome aboard Brett, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Am I mistaken or did you post this same thing under a different name a little while ago?

Plaster of Paris and sand is about as crappy a forge liner as it gets, ditch it and do it right.  Go to the gas forge section here and start reading. In fact there are a couple ongoing threads that line out construction of gas forges of very high efficiency.

Please do some reading. I'm not being mean but you don't know enough to ask halfway decent questions let alone understand the answers. Don't start buying materials. Don't build a burner. Don't start forging knives. Read till you understand what you're reading, virtually anything you can ask has been answered already, probably hundreds of times. The problem is you don't know what to ask let alone recognize the answers.

Okay, I'm repeating myself, hopefully enough you get it.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

The book that will answer all your questions is Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces,

The book you need is called Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces, & Kilns, which also has chapters on building the equipment you need; it would be outrageously expensive with shipping costs to Australia. How fortunate for you that free pirated PDF versions are available to view and/or download from the Net. First, look up the book on Amazon.com, and find out what's inside of it; then watch your six, while deciding just which source to download from.