I Forge Iron

Class Prices

Hi all, this is my first post, though I have been following the forum for about a month now.

I have a background in metallurgical engineering, and have always wanted to learn blacksmithing, but opportunities were hard to find or took too much time, whatever.

I recently moved to the Boston area where there are many more options. I recently took an introductory course which was fantastic. However, continued courses seem overpriced at $320 for 12 hours of instruction. By comparison, a school in Maine offers a 4-day, 32 hour course for a little over $400.

Is the local school overpriced? Should I be looking for other, more affordable learning opportunities? I'm planning on joining the local ABANA chapter, but with their bi-annual meeting just passed, it seems a long way out to have any networking opportunities.

Ordinarily my solution would be to buy some stuff and set up a smithy, but I don't have the available space at my home (a townhouse) to do this. I'm boggled. Any advice is much appreciated!

There are a lot of schools out there and their class set up and prices seem to vary somewhat.

320 for 12 hours sounds a little high to me, but I have no idea what that means. It could be high due to being able to have you and you alone in there. I don't know..

The New England School is a great place. Mr. Glaser does a wonderful job with flexible class scheduling and good classes. I have never been there, but I have heard a lot of positive things about the place.

The school I run down here in Virginia runs a student at about 100 bucks a day. That is however many hours you want to work within that range too. We have had classes go on for 12+ hours a day. The instructors we have had so far have been willing to hang out with the students willing to burn the midnight oil. We do have some one day beginner classes for 25, and 75 bucks too...this is to not hit the pickets of those still trying out this hobby...

I think the factors that also come into play with taking classes is lodging, eating, and distance. We are lucky here with the school being at the owners farm where people are welcome to camp out during a class to cut some cost.

I would say New England would be a good place along with your local ABANA affiliate. Though their meeting just passed there are other things you will gain from it like the newsletter, and people to ask for help.

Good luck!
Peyton

For the course at the New England school of Metalworking you need to factor in the cost of travel, lodging and food. So your $400 may become $700-800 pretty quick. Also remember that the cost of running school close to Boston is going to be higher and the school you went to only has 4 people at a time where the one in Maine has more than that so the one on one time with the instructor may be less. I have been to the same school you have and found that the information learned is worth the price it costs. That school offers a series of classes that take you from ground zero to a very broad technical understanding.

It all boils down to what you think it is worth. In the spring come and join the New England Blacksmiths. We have a facility in Brentwood, NH that is open the last Saturday of the month (March through November) where there are a lot of guys willing to help you out and share knowledge. $20 / Year and $10 per Saturday. Price includes materials.

The answer is -depends-. It depends on the location, facilities and overhead, whether the class is offered by a non-profit club or by a master-smith running a school where he/she expects to not loose his/her high-priced billable hours.

You are likely to find some good deals on classes through non-profit blacksmithing clubs. I have been fortunate to be able to take weekend classes with skilled smiths eager to share information, classes through a local non-profit blacksmithing club. :)

Edited by UnicornForge

Thanks for the input, guys!

I just want to reiterate that my class was excellent, but I was just wondering why there was such a disparity (half price) between the cost of the other classes in the area, and if that cost seemed reasonable. Face-time with the instructor is probably a very big factor there.

Doug: Thanks for the info on the open forge in NH. I've seen the website for that, I think. I can't wait!

Check out the John C. Cambell Folk School in Brasstown N. Carolina. I took the beginner course there and paid under $500.00 for five days of instruction. I used the camp ground and only ate breakfast and dinner in the cafeteria. I had the added benefit of meeting Elmer Rouche and visiting his shop. He lives about two miles from the school, and one Jeff Mohr who often teaches there lives 2.5 miles from my house and has an open forge at his place every wednesday.

as far as my (probably biased ) opinion schooling is only gona help if you have hammer time at home .. i would look into renting a small shop or find a friend or try renting shop time in someones shop . ive taken classes but if you dont spend time forgeing after its hard to get your skills up . class prices vary wildly and sometimes with reason ... usually find the best learning for the bucks is conferences ... good luck!

I have taken a majority of the classes available at the teaching forge you speak of. As soon as they develop a next set of courses, I will be taking them. (They need to build up enough students to fill that class)

The lead instructor is excellent. I was once into wood carving, took a week intensive class with a world-class (literally) instructor. By the end of the week, my excitement and desire for woodcarving had been crushed and I never carved again.

The lead instructor at this teaching forge has invigorated me, I find myself spending a significant portion of my time blacksmithing or preparing to blacksmith.

I think the classes are pricey, but the value is high! I keep coming back. I assure you the gentlemen running the forge are not getting rich off of us. I hope they can stay in business long enough to teach me everything they know- so about 30 more years!

-Doug

Do a search for TPAAAT on the IForgeIron site. I simply applied the technique and ask a couple of questions in and around Boston.

There is a 250 +# anvil in New Braintree, a 100# anvil in Griswold Ct, a 160 lb. I Hill anvil and a no name 180 lb. anvil in Royalston, and a 200# anvil in Tolland Ct. There is a blacksmith forge in Lancaster MA.

My suggestion would be to buy what you can now as it seems to be available. It may not be available when folks from the NE read this post :). You would be surprised what a great conversation piece just having a 100 plus pound anvil as a paperweight on the coffee table can be. It will come in handy for all sorts of in the house projects that can be worked cold, leather, tin, copper, silver, etc. It would be just the thing for pressing that leaf collection, along with a BUNCH of other uses. (grin)