I Forge Iron

History of American Indians and Forging

Alan DuBoff

Not much for the deep cold either! 
any were we go is going to call for a troglodyte like existence, radiation being a thing.  But as governments have been planning wars of resource accusation for decades Musk isn’t so dumb. Lots of exploitable resources and little if any government oversight of world. Not to mention the tax benifits. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

I think our ability to do more internet searching is much more precise now than it was then.

My wife is from Mexico City, I like history and museums. I have been to Mexicos National Museum of Anthropology a bunch of times. It's amazing.

Dome your crater over and plant a garden Billy, fresh veggies will be in demand on the moon. I'll claim a really deep crater above 60*, mine and sell you ice. 

About 4' of regolith will block most radiation provided we don't catch a coronal mass ejection point blank, then it's off to the cellar till it clears up.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thomas your so silly!
Of course no one’s on the moon! 

if they were then there would be moon rocks for sale on Amazon :rolleyes:

that an I’m sure there would be so many lit up billboards up there advertising junk that you couldn’t tell a full moon from a crescent moon

Riiiiiiight!     

My Father worked for NASA during the mid 1960's; We have a picture of the Apollo 11 liftoff signed by Werner von Braun saying "Thanks Tom, we couldn't have done it without you!"  (When we toured the Johnson Space Center, we had security badges and Frank Borman was our guide.)

You can buy Moon rocks Billy, though not Amazon I'm sure.

Which R.A. Heinlein story sold advertising space on the Moon's near side Thomas? The ad was for 6+ soda, 6+ was "printed" in carbon black across near side for a few hundred thousand I think. An enormous amount of money in the 1940s. 

Frosty The Lucky.

15 hours ago, George N. M. said:

I will say that the recent postings on this thread are much more accurate and informative than the 2006 postings.  I don't know if the IFIers are more knowledgable and more articulate but whatever it is IMO it is a good thing.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

One thing I've seen more of over the last few years is an extension of the "no politics, no religion" rule into a forum culture of non-judgmental respect for others. (There are exceptions of course, but hey, no-one's perfect.) That combines well with a dedication to objectivity (whether in metallurgy, heat treatment, the chemical analysis of pre-European-contact Aztec bronze, or the endless discussions of the value of anvil rebound), with the result being some pretty high-quality discussions.

I had to look that one up and still don't recall the story. I don't remember his short stories as well as he novellas and novels. I read so much so fast I think short stories had to be pretty memorable not to get lost in the storm.

Frosty The Lucky.

Last "Friends of the Library book sale" I picked up 4 hardback school library copies of some of RAH's "juveniles" ( have spacesuit will travel, time for the stars, starman jones, the star beast, IIRC).  All from the original printings and in excellent condition.  I am almost afraid to give them to the grandkids!

Jim "Paw Paw" Wilson was an RAH fan and why I wear lederhosen with an aloha shirt Fridays at Quad-State (from a line in "Glory Road").

Sweet score Thomas, I don't have room to go to book sales. <sigh> 

I caught the aloha shirt and lederhosen reference right away. "Glory Road" is one of my favorites though I'd forgotten it was a throw away one liner in the story. I've listened to it and others since. I was one of his adolescents. 

I didn't know until I saw his obituary that he and Virginia lived less than 30 miles from us.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

They seem to be following the unfortunate modern museum display format of no labels.  Maybe there were labels or descriptions off to the side of the case.  I find it interesting how little the shape of some tools changes through time and materials.  The crescent shaped blade could be a knife similar to a modern leather worker's knife.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

They didn't have much in descriptions, age, or composition etc. I was looking for it. Most of the display had been taken down. They are remodeling. I remember seeing a lot more axes of varying shapes and sizes. When I get home I will have to go through my old pics to see if I have some of the old display.