I Forge Iron

How to flatten a cube

Greetings,
I have been trying to flatten out a 1" cube to make a candle holder base I saw. The base has distinct corner edges and the sides are bulged out evenly. I'm using a power hammer and I just can't get it right. I'm suspecting that the base I saw may have been done with a press instead of a power hammer given my results. Anybody familiar with the proper technique?

Heat the cube, Quench the top 1/3 of the cube to black put it on the flat dies and smack a few times. Don't go to far as the top will heat back up.
If it don't look like you want play with the process. After you do a few you may get what your after. I some times I quench both the top and bottom then flatten it clear down you will have the top and bottom outline in the 2 faces. Have fun!

Beautiful job!! I really like the effect the ball gives.
Those edges and bulges are the look I'm after exactly. Did you also use the quenching technique that Peacock uses?
Do you guys start out with a true cube shape I.e. As wide as it is tall under the hammer or have you found a better geometry?

Beautiful job!! I really like the effect the ball gives.
Those edges and bulges are the look I'm after exactly. Did you also use the quenching technique that Peacock uses?
Do you guys start out with a true cube shape I.e. As wide as it is tall under the hammer or have you found a better geometry?

I haven't seen peacock's work. This was just allowed to air cool. It is a perfect cube, yes.

i'd weld a flat plate to the top of the ball ..... or you may end up with a bunch of divots on your top die in the powerhammer...

just in case

Good catch. That was how this tool was done. (I didn't think about the importance of it. I was there when it was done, but didn't do the work.)