I Forge Iron

5160 Bowie and skinner

guzzo

I love the knife; nice and heavy with a wide blade...

We often hunt hogs with dogs and kill 'em with knives - although I personally prefer a pistol. Sounds much harder than it is except on the big ones (which is 300-400 around here). My son had a nice pack of pits, black mouth curs, a heeler and one giant Rhodesian Ridgeback - he's down to one BM and the Ridgy now. I made his pig sticker out of a file with a wide tanto point because IMHO the chisel tip cuts arteries better than a point.

Stay safe - piggies can be a real bad trip under the wrong circumstances...

really nice! Probably a good idea about the blood and bone, why do you chop out the jaws? what are the specs on the blades?
Josh

Thanks,
If I get a good set of tusks I take the jaw. I will measure and post the specs

I love the knife; nice and heavy with a wide blade...

We often hunt hogs with dogs and kill 'em with knives - although I personally prefer a pistol. Sounds much harder than it is except on the big ones (which is 300-400 around here). My son had a nice pack of pits, black mouth curs, a heeler and one giant Rhodesian Ridgeback - he's down to one BM and the Ridgy now. I made his pig sticker out of a file with a wide tanto point because IMHO the chisel tip cuts arteries better than a point.

Stay safe - piggies can be a real bad trip under the wrong circumstances...

A lot of blokes up here hunt with dogs but they have to be buffalo proof or they don't come back. I have had my share of close calls with the angry hog...they sure make a scary noise when they charge....400lb are big pigs for sure....do you have a pic of the pig sticker you made your son?

Blade is 2 1/4 inch wide, 12 inch long and weighs 2 lbs....It is a bit ugly but it can chop through the jaw bone of a pig without blade damage so it does what i made it to do.......here is a pic of why a lot of hunting dogs in my area never come home

SUNP0031.jpg

Have you heard of the "dogo dog" from Argentina? They were bread to hunt pigs down there and seem to be great family dogs also. Look into the history and the different dogs crossed to make this family friendly hunting dog. Of course, three dogo's would be better than one.

Blade is 2 1/4 inch wide, 12 inch long and weighs 2 lbs....It is a bit ugly but it can chop through the jaw bone of a pig without blade damage so it does what i made it to do.......here is a pic of why a lot of hunting dogs in my area never come home SUNP0031.jpg

That's a real beast. We put ballistic armor jackets on our dogs but they still get cut up sometimes. My son had an old Catahoula dog (he died of heat stroke a couple years ago) who would grab a pig or cow on the nose and spin, which caused the other animal to flip. I saw him turn a 1000 steer over on its back - and the dog weighed about 70 lbs. Best dog judo you ever saw...<LOL>

I'll ask my son to bring his knife over for a pic. It is nothing fancy; I used a stag horn butt for the handle and put a full loop finger guard on it so CW doesn't lose his grip when the blood starts flying.

That's a real beast. We put ballistic armor jackets on our dogs but they still get cut up sometimes. My son had an old Catahoula dog (he died of heat stroke a couple years ago) who would grab a pig or cow on the nose and spin, which caused the other animal to flip. I saw him turn a 1000 steer over on its back - and the dog weighed about 70 lbs. Best dog judo you ever saw...<LOL>

I'll ask my son to bring his knife over for a pic. It is nothing fancy; I used a stag horn butt for the handle and put a full loop finger guard on it so CW doesn't lose his grip when the blood starts flying.

The old boar is a tough animal....I tried a chop on a 90 kg boar I shot with the bow to see what the Bowie would do...it went straight through the spine with ease so as a last line of defence it has my trust.