I Forge Iron

1892 Fisher Anvil

Hello,

I just recently came across an 1892 Fisher anvil. I am not sure of the weight. The dimensions are as follows. The base is 11.5" x 12.5". The height from the base to the face is 12.5". It is 29" long from the tip of the horn to the back edge. The face is 5.25" wide. I cannot decipher many of the words written on it. From what I understand there is a stamped eagle on the side, but it is too difficult for me to make out. It has the year 1892 on the back of the base, and above that a 1 and a 6, not sure if any numbers were in between. If anybody could help me determine the weight, and possible value of the anvil I would greatly appreciate it. I took some pictures as well. I wasn't sure about trying to clean it so I just wiped it with a damp cloth to get some of the surface dust off of it. I had somebody offer to make a deal with me on it, but I just am not at all knowledgeable in this area. Any information would greatly help. Thanks.

Ps. I have pictures, and could not upload them this minute. I will upload them within the next few hours.

Your dimensions indicate about a 225 or 250 lb anvil.  I could not tell the top plate condition from your photos, Condition of the top and edges is of paramount importance.  You did not put a good top shot in.  Location is very important as to selling value because shipping is expensive.  And value is what someone is willing to pay and what you are willing to accept.

Thanks alot. I read a few other discussions regarding Fisher anvils and researched them as best I could. I only found a few that were in the 150lb range. From picking it up it felt a bit heavier than that so I appreciate the information. I have attached pictures of the top and edges, there seems to be a spot where the horn and the plate meet that is a little worn. Other then that, it seems to be in fair condition from what I can tell. I am located in a suburb of Philadelphia in New Jersey, I am not sure what the local market for such an anvil would be but any more information I greatly appreciate. 

post-29635-0-41868200-1355182050_thumb.j

post-29635-0-55621900-1355182056_thumb.j

post-29635-0-64254400-1355182061_thumb.j

post-29635-0-55423100-1355182065_thumb.j

post-29635-0-61884400-1355182070_thumb.j

post-29635-0-19391500-1355182074_thumb.j

post-29635-0-93073400-1355182082_thumb.j

It looks like you are missing a big piece of the face plate.  It is a MAJOR defect.  Fisher anvils are not easy to repair.  Search IFI for more info on this topic.    Your anvil does not have much value except to someone looking for a repair project.  Remember, this is only an opinion.  Others can chime in to agree or disagree.

looks like there might be a crack in the face, but is there really a big chunk missing??  Hard to tell from the top down photos..   A shame, my top plate is perfect, but my horn is all messed up, so our anvils are opposite brothers.

~Steve