I Forge Iron

Hill Birmingham 167 lb

I wasn't going to spend much money as the last stuff hit my pocket money hard, but thanks to the crazy people WAY OVERPAYING for tactical stuff right now I solved the no cash problem (Kel Tec KSG and PMR both sold and even the buyer acknowledged he was paying WAY to much but he really wanted them. I dont like that he will probably have wasted over 1K in a couple months but if he resells soon he will likely make some money too.)

Anyway, found another anvil today

Hill Birmingham 1-1-27 that is suppose to actually weight 162.3lbs. Has a chip off one foot and the horn has a spot that was whacked with something but overall, it seems to be in very nice shape.

Along with the deal I made came a 8 in diameter by 8.75 inch tall "chunk" of some sort of steel. I think someone used this as an anvil too as one surface is smoother and more shiny (heavy though). And of course another hammer...a 16 lb older Japanese made sledge with shorter handle.

I think I did well at $425 for all, and he is suppose to dig out a BIG leg vice he has at home to bring in...for another $75 (if its big enough then Ill probably grab it too). Input here is also appreciated. I have no idea what such a large piece of steel is worth but I figured if somehow I must sell something down the road the anvil would cover all of it or darn close.

PICTURE TIME:

gallery_29991_4_4389.jpg

gallery_29991_4_25979.jpg

gallery_29991_4_45236.jpg

could someone explain the ball bearing test (I need to get a ball but am curious). the chunk has a little ring to it, and I looked up rounds from metal suppliers and it looked similar to hot rolled (big diameters dont seem to really be round), but Ill still test it some.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found the ball bearing test. ;)

could someone explain the ball bearing test (I need to get a ball but am curious). the chunk has a little ring to it, and I looked up rounds from metal suppliers and it looked similar to hot rolled (big diameters dont seem to really be round), but Ill still test it some.

It's not hot rolled it's ''rough forged''............The BB test is done buy dropping a BB from say 10'' and if the BB bounces back say 8'' It's rated 80%.(good) 3''  not so good.  A 3/4'' dia BB or larger works best....

I was looking at a metal supplier website their picture looked similar and the 8" said it was 1018 hot roll finished. No idea from experience though. I need to check the pawn shop, I think they were suppose to get a metal tester to avoid fake stuff (gold, silver, etc)

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/coldfin2.phtml?page=round

There is a specialty metal place here that stocks nothing but round bars from 4" diameter to the size of telephone poles. They donated some of the dinner plate size cut-offs from squaring the bars to the welding shop at school several years ago. They had everything from 1018 to 1080, 4140, etc. And none of it was made in America. My favorite label was from the Red October Steel Company in Russia. <_<