I Forge Iron

First Projects

Hello, I am new to blacksmithing and have been reading this site. Have to fix a couple bent up parts for my tractor's planter.

My plan is to make a cheap earth forge, use hardwood charcoal, and air from a small portable fan. Have all 3 at hand.

1st item is a control rod that is bent. My vise is too small to cold bend it back in shape. Though I could heat it red-orange and hammer it straight again.

2nd item may not be possible to bend back. I believe it is cast iron, not sure if it's malleable. Read here you can cut and weld... Think it would be possible to bend it instead? I could cut spacers and move this part over an 1" and have clearance. 4th pic shows about where it is bent.

Any advice on what I am doing appreciated!

Eric

post-40089-0-96505200-1367378146_thumb.j

post-40089-0-98119500-1367378733_thumb.j

post-40089-0-72407300-1367378743_thumb.j

post-40089-0-27755400-1367378750_thumb.j

If it bent cold without breaking I would think that you should be able to straighten it out hot. Sometimes things that apear cast are forged and you are looking at scale forged into the item and soemtimes you are looking at where closed forge dies meet.

Welcome aboard Eric, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header there's probably an IFI member within easy visiting distance.

The control rod shouldn't be a problem straightening. I'd try heating it and just bending it till it's close then using a wood block and malet to do the finish straightening. That way the metal bends rather than being forged which changes the thickness and bending straight is what you need.

the hitch bar is something else, I can't tell from the picture if it's forged or cast. I'd have to call the manufacturer and ask, maybe the loal tractor dealer mechanic can tell you. I'm sure this happens pretty often and would imagine it's intended to be straightened. Still, that's a guess and I can't lay eyes and hands on it.

As Mark says, it bent cold it should straighten hot. Wouldn't hurt to ask a shop though. I'll bet it won't be long before someone here who's dealt with exactly this chimes in.

Frosty the Lucky

Thanks for the info. I am located in Windsor, Virginia. The second item is from a McCormick-Deering C-221 Corn Planter made back in the 40's. It lifts about 80-100lbs each side.