I Forge Iron

Anvil ID Please

Pictures of more of the anvils can help a lot; some brands are identifiable by what the underside of the base look like for instance---or Arm and Hammer anvils often show the steam hammer undulations on the under side of the tail.  Some brands also put the weight and/or serial number on the front of the foot under the horn. The shape of the horn and the drop to the cutting step can differentiate a Vulcan from an Arm and Hammer as does the fact that Vulcan uses the arm and hammer logo sticking out while Arm and Hammer used the logo stamped in.

My guess for the first one is an Arm and Hammer anvil made in Columbus OH and like American anvils it would be marked in pounds. Considered a top American brand.

Second one is hard to tell.  It might be a Columbian with a modification to the trademark: Columbians had an indented Triangle point down with a raised C in the middle, they were cast STEEL anvils made in Cleveland Ohio and are considered a good anvil.  How does it ring when tapped? Is there a letter on the other side?

These are being sold in a local yard sale group. Most of the pictures are super blurry so I posted the ones that are clear. I doubt the lady would go through the hassle to post more pictures if I asked again. If you had to guess at a fair ballpark price what would you say?

Scrapmetal price to maybe US$5 a pound depending on stuff you haven't shown us.    If I show you a picture of the logo on my truck can you tell me what it's worth?  Would being able to see that it had been in an accident change the price?

The Arm and Hammer:  99 pounds---I would snap it up at US$2  a pound even though I have other anvils---if it's in good shape and the face has not been ground, milled or welded on.  At $3 a pound I might get it if I needed an anvil and it was in good shape.  I'm too cheap to pay more as I have always found anvils cheaper.

The possible Columbian---I would have to KNOW it was a Columbian and not an ASO; You need to know the weight too.  A bathroom scale works well for most anvils.

Note that good anvils at good prices sell almost instantly; this makes it hard on people who need to consult before buying.  You may want to look up the ball bearing test and the ring test as they will generally let you evaluate an unknown anvil immediately as "good" or "not good".