• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, I've chatted back and forth with a few and met one in person, but he lived over 1000kms away: I met Daryl (Ausfire) when I took my family to the historical village he curates and blacksmiths at while we were on holidays up north.

I love all the info I pick up on IFI (too much sometimes, there's so much I want to try!) I just need to pull my finger out and make the time to get across to the club or find a closer one for some direct, at the forge instruction.

Cheers,

Jono.

Yesterday and today, I made a removable caster frame for the fly press.

[NB: I decided to move the details of this build to their own post, which can be seen at Removable Casters for Heavy Machinery.]

B1754C8C-29CB-4FCD-92D8-18CEEFAC713E.thumb.jpeg.46c84e4765d2dd7e45664c7b83f92adb.jpeg

A video of installing and removing the frame:

I also worked on the C-channel reinforcement for the broken fly arm, notching it to fit around the central boss and the nut that holds the handle in place. Still playing with ideas on how to attach this. 

58A8C294-2057-449C-8722-58B220DDD0F3.jpeg

You can see in this photo the key that registers the arm on the top of the screw. Unlike many fly presses, this one does not have a setscrew that allows one to remove the key and rotate the arm to the optimal position (as shown in this video clip). The key is also flush with the top of the arm, so there's nothing to grab onto if you did want to remove it. This means that if you want to change the position of the arm, you have to take the whole thing off and put it back on where you want it. I'm considering drilling and tapping the arm for such a setscrew and making a new key long enough to be easily removed.

20220802_220445.thumb.jpg.6336f5f8f116dbc604acc3cd5a86afc3.jpg

Patching up some rust on my dads truck. It needs inspected and they failed it for some PA. rust issues. Had an old used/replaced bedside in my resource pile. Worked great for a rust patch on the worse side. The repair panels are over $100.