I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

13 hours ago, Ridgeway Forge Studio said:

I e been busy making thing and catching up on all of the chores-

made my wife a ceiling hanger for her potted plant to hang from, first picture.

made a door hasp for a free cabinet to hold various garage items

Nice work!  I wish I had that talent.  The ceiling hanger, in particular, looks A1.  What do you season (or paint) it with? All I ever use is the standard linseed/turpentine/beeswax concoction.  I'm looking for better ideas.  Anyhow, I reiterate . . . your work is top draw.

- Paul

• Replies 26.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The cheeks. Look rounded to me. A photo from the top would clear things up. 

A tomahawk has an O shape.  But axes or hatchets will have a wedge shape traditionally with thin cheeks around the handle. 

Modern designed and mfg axes even if hand forged have a tendency to have so much extra material around the eye.  And often the shape is more rounded. 

With an axe or hatchet they were designed for heavy use with the cutting edge being the determining factor of how long it lasted. (Worn away from sharpening). 

Comparing old work to new is probably not worth mentioning.  

Modern mfg of axes and designs probably doesn't really matter on design since they don't really get used as often nor as thoroughly.  

Beautiful work. Always love seeing your items.  

With the last few years traveling it's interesting the different approaches to forging that seem geographical.  (Influences and otherwise). 

Axe Head Terms SB.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Clean up duplicate text

2 hours ago, Paul_Lake_Echo said:

Nice work!  I wish I had that talent.  The ceiling hanger, in particular, looks A1.  What do you season (or paint) it with? All I ever use is the standard linseed/turpentine/beeswax concoction.  I'm looking for better ideas.  Anyhow, I reiterate . . . your work is top draw.

- Paul

Thanks Paul!

the ceiling hanger is just rustoleum brand semi gloss spray paint- no surface prep beyond wire brushing.

the blackening on the other piece is hot beeswax- I usually use that for outdoor work, sometimes linseed applied cold and heated with a torch.

I have used WD 40 applied hot before- I really like the finish, very even coating. Hot as in bath water hot, not burning hot.

You've lost me Jennifer, I thought you were talking about the Lugs being semi circular but your latest post doesn't clarify what a "hatchet being an "O as opposed to a wedge" means.

Something glitched, maybe you hit send a bunch of times or maybe the forum software glitched. Not on you, I'm saying this here/now so you don't catch flak.

Frosty The Lucky.

JLP, I’m into the first normalizing cycle. I’ll post more pics before the next heat.

And, yes, it was punched and drifted. This one went much more smoothly than the last. This time I started the punching by hand then went to the hammer. On the smaller one I started with the hammer and my punch jumped around on the first couple of hits, resulting in more clean up and extra work forging. Probably just an experience issue, but hand starting was a good work around for me.

Keep it fun,

David

I haven’t been able to get into the shop for a while, partly because it’s been too hot, but mostly because I’ve been helping Lisa move her yarn shop into a much larger and better-located side. Nonetheless, I did find time to modify an old French Army ammunition pouch into a carrier for my cell phone, to better keep it safe on my belt while I’m working.

IMG_9334.thumb.jpeg.55dcf0814d1da5ce5ffeb186d759d326.jpeg

IMG_9336.thumb.jpeg.3fcb1022402d3b5650a5f77a6eae40b9.jpeg

And it's SOOO retro! It almost looks like it was made for the purpose, nice save John. can you hear the ringer from in there? Does it have a belt loop / clip, or?

I have to put my Iphone at the far end of the shop if I'm welding or at the forge, it's just not a good place for it. Normally I carry my cell in one of my cargo pockets but it's not very protected and I still can't feel it vibrate. 

I like your "new" case, good score.

Frosty The Lucky.

I always have it on silent, but the heavy belt loop seems to transmit the vibrations fairly well. When I’m in the shop, I’m almost always using my Bluetooth earplugs to listen to music or an audiobook, so I can usually hear when a call comes in. 

I can't feel mine vibrate unless it's in a T shirt pocket. I can hear it unless I'm running a disk grinder or something overpoweringly loud. I have Bluetooth, Bose noise canceling headphones I have set to block over 60db. I can hear the phone ring 20' away unless I'm using a disk grinder on a noisy piece of steel. If I were grinding on a 10' piece of I beam I my Howard Leight industrial muffs. Wearing them is like being in a recording studio. With the AM FM radio off, the odd rushing sound is the blood flowing in your ears. They're just uncomfortably tight and not something I wear with others in the shop. You have to move within my view or touch me to get my attention. No hearing my cell phone wearing them, I have to prop it up where I can see the screen light up or call back later. 

I'm usually listening to an audiobook playing on Kindle, the Bose are perfect for that. I can hear my tools and machinery well enough to know what's what and still enjoy a book. I just noticed the batteries are dead in my Howard Leights so I couldn't listen to radio if I needed them. Sure wish they were Bluetooth capable. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.