I Forge Iron

Getting ready for Quad-State

ThomasPowers

Trying to avoid a last minute rush by getting stuff staged for quad-state:

Got my "business cards" re-ordered, should be here tomorrow.

Trying to get my insulin pump supplies changed over to Medicare---should have started that in January!

Located all the fittings for our conduit tarp structure.

Discussing nonperishable foods with my CFO

Found all the tent stakes for my scale model Sibley tent, I hope to set it up and check condition next week.

Found my propane cooker and grill for it---need to make sure I have a full BBQ tank still!

Getting my tailgating items ready to go---if we have room in the truck.

Still need to choose an Aloha shirt and check if I fit in my lederhosen!

My favorite was to make baked apples in the camp fire.  We'd go picking at an orchard near our house in Columbus OH and I;d core them and add butter and cinnamon and brown sugar and wrap them in foil, pop them in the ashes around the fire at the camp and let them sit.  I remember on year a friend came in late---he was a college student and had a late lab before he could head out to Quad-State.  Well he had missed dinner and ate an unbelievable number of those apples when he showed up.

I like doing similar to russet potatoes without the cinnamon and brown sugar. The old boy scout version is always good, ground beef, salt pepper, onion, carrot, cheese maybe and whatever else strikes your fancy. Foil wrap and baked next to the fire. Acorn squash with a sausage, onion, mixed veggies and a custard to fill is a favorite. I stopped baking in the ashes, people keep stoking the fire to charcoal retort levels.

Frosty The Lucky.

Gatta love the mountain pie makers. Can do all kinds of stuff. Grilled cheese, bread slice pizza, bread slice pies and more. 

I prefer the cast iron ones over aluminum. Got a new aluminum one once. A friend set it up for his and when he pulled it out it was just the sticks. He melted off my new mountain pie maker.

You can remake a burnt pie, but once the maker/cooker is gone you are done.

I have two cast iron ones and one aluminum one (price was too good to pass up on the aluminum one) . And I prefer to do fire/coal maintainence myself with them now. 

Mountain Pie Maker brought to mind Pasture Pie makers and those are excellent slow roasted over a fire. Mmmmmm. I haven't seen one of those in a long time, an aunt used to make cakes in one. Are yours the size of a slice of bread or about half that? I'm going to have to Duck duck Go, it. Holy Mackerel they're EVERYWHERE! Now I have to find a place in the RV to hide one. 

I started making a cook fire a ways away from the camp fire and snarl at anybody getting too close. I made perfect trout by putting 3 coals under the frying pan sitting on 3 stones, toss in a pat of butter and when it starts smoking toss in the trout, preferable so fresh I had to hold it down to keep it from flopping out of the pan. It used to kill me guys would be lined up and raving about the trout and kept telling me I needed more fire under it. :blink: 

Frosty The Lucky.

My mountain pie makers are bread slice size. Never seen a half slice size one. The ones I have seem to seal up the two halves pretty good if you make them right. 

The last one I got was $2. At the fleamarket for a rusty cast iron one. They were telling me it could be cleaned up but I already knew. Wasn't too bad either. 

I must've been thinking of something else, I saw ones similar to one my aunt used and they're full slice. I may have to go shopping, I'd like to pick up a fire piston anyway. What the hey, Deb's off at a dog competition. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm pretty sure I can slip one in. Deb LOVES grilled cheese and soup, not having to wash a pan or the top of the stove should justify a little space. B)

I sure wish I knew how Aunt Louise made the cake batter they came out great. DARN I'll have to experiment. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm going to have to order one online, the only ones I found in Wasilla were $30 and up, I can order single through Walmart for $5 and a double for $17. See what shipping is before I slap my card down. 

I'm thinking a couple three pepperoni, some mozzerella and a splash of sauce would make a tasty sandwich.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'd see if the double has a divider in the middle to close off the edges of the bread. If not I'd go with the single. But that's just me.  When you get a good spot in the coals and the maker is warmed up they go pretty fast. While you are cooking one you can be making another sandwich ready to go in. 

Don't forget the butter. 

For the preheat you can test the right temp with the butter as well. 

And give them a little rest time so you don't scald your mouth. Seems that one is always forgotten because I'm so excited to dig into them once they are out. 

When the second one is done, the first one is usually about ready to eat. 

I'm not going to buy a double, if its not unreasonable I'm getting two singles. We have a really good waffle maker you can flip the iron for making sandwiches, (:rolleyes:) though it's not great for that. We ALWAYS give grilled sandwiches, even waffles a little rest time. A blistered palate masks a lot of the yum. 

Gotham Steel makes a version in ceramic non stick double. For about what the local big box sporting good store wants for a round single. Unfortunately the Gotham Steel one is just too fancy the pics look like it makes sandwiches cut corner to corner, that'd be a good thing but not so much in a double. Deb would like that but I don't mind cutting them. Honest it's not too much trouble nor do I stumble in circles :o waving my arms and knocking everything off the tables in 3 rooms, etc. like the commercials. 

Does anybody else get the message from ads and commercials that you'd have to be an idiot to buy the advertised product?:huh:

Frosty The Lucky.

Now, Now; just because your turnip twaddler's instructions were in early high middle low Martian; doesn't mean you should give up!  Did you try using the other side that had the version written in old Japanese using Egyptian Hieroglyphics?   BTW; how's your Turbo Encabulator doing?

Yes. But not till Thursday, but i believe that is just as with every year though. The brochure says that this year there will be no water hook up or camping by the grandstands. Electricity is still available. 

I forgot until just now but when i was at Bob Crukshanks' family's garage sale last year they said they were going to do another this year. If they do it is about a 10 or 15 minute drive from Quad state and well worth going to. 

I'm chomping at the bit to go.  Funny thing is it depends on foriegn affairs.  I have never been to it.  There is something there I truly desire.

Frosty, remember it's an Encabulator, not a Entwaddlator.  How many things can do you have going on at once?  And that's just the letter "E".